3 Big Ideas for Montana Math!
IDEA #1 – Montana Math Matters!
Join us for Growth Mindset and Productive Struggle professional development in Hardin and Reed Point!
When: Saturday, January 20 from 9am-3:30pm in Hardin with Brooke Taylor OR Saturday, February 17 from 9am-3:30pm in Reed Point with Becky Berg.
- Who: All teachers of K-12 Math are encouraged to attend.
- What: Participants will learn how a growth mindset affects achievement in mathematics; learn instructional strategies to promote student perseverance and productive struggle and increase student math skills and knowledge; engage in math activities; and, discuss strategies that can increase all students’ enjoyment and learning of mathematics.
Register at goo.gl/NEVX2E or check out the attached flyer.
*Lunch is provided, earn 6 OPI renewal units, and the event is free!
IDEA #2 – Calling K-5 Teachers Looking to Start a Math Club!
Crazy 8s is not your average Math Club. It supplies schools with FREE materials to bring fun and interactive math activities into schools. They supply 32 weeks of Crazy 8s 1-hour session lessons and materials. All you need is an enthusiastic coach! Kits are available for K-2 and 3-5. Check out their webpage.
IDEA #3 – Virtual Math Communities
Want to talk about interesting math problems and current topics affecting your classroom? Join an online Professional Learning Community. Find them on the Teacher Learning Hub.
- Virtual Math Monthly PLCs
- Tuesday December 19 we will be talking about all things interim assessment. Learn about FREE SBAC Interim Assessments and how to implement them into your classroom. For high school teachers we will discuss the ACT formative resources live and how to use them effectively in your classroom. Join December’s PLC here!
- Tuesday January 23 learn about vertical non-permanent surfaces in the math classroom. Sean Kavanaugh the creator of 360 Degree math will be with us. Learn from the expert on how to get kids out of their seats and collaborating.
- Tuesday February 27 Feeling overwhelmed by the amount of online resources for your math classroom? Learn about best practices for online programs with Tom Redmon from Daily Elementary in Hamilton, Montana. We will be look at Learn Zillion, Khan, and more.
- Can’t attend live? Watch the recordings and earn OPI renewal units.
- Montana Virtual Math Teachers’ Circle meets the firstThursday of every month at 4:30pm. Work on rich mathematics problems and build your math teacher community across the state.
- Next Session is TODAY December 7th 4:30-5:30! Join the Montana Virtual Math Teacher Circle!
As always, feel free to contact me with your math questions or concerns at email@example.com
- Marisa Franklin, Mathematics Instructional Coordinator