3 Big Ideas for Montana Math!
IDEA #1 - LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF - MARISA FRANKLIN
I am passionate about equitable mathematics education for all students. Previously, I was a high school mathematics instructor for five years in Boston, MA. I founded the school's AP Statistics curriculum and taught math subjects ranging from geometry to pre-calculus. I originally joined Boston Collegiate as a Teach for America Corps Member. Most recently, I was a founding 7th grade math teacher at a new school in Seattle. I graduated from Barnard College in New York City, majoring in Mathematics-Statistics. My masters degree is in Education and Curriculum from Boston University. I am excited to live here in Helena with my fiancé and Buffalo, our miniature schnauzer puppy.
Please contact me with your Math thoughts and questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IDEA #2 - STREAM LOOKING FOR K-8 TEACHERS
The attached invitation describes a special opportunity that may benefit you or a K-8 mathematics teacher you know. The Montana STREAM project is offering two K-8 Regional Mathematics Events, where K-8 teachers will engage in professional learning to enhance their knowledge of mathematics content, improve their instruction and better understand the Montana standards.
- Teachers will engage in a blended program of professional development consisting of one two-day face-to-face workshop and two three-week online-learning mini-courses.
- These educational opportunities will be facilitated by master teachers and university faculty from across Montana.
- One regional workshop will be held in Miles City in the fall of 2017. The other regional workshop will be held in Kalispell in the spring of 2018.
- For teachers accepted into the program, STREAM will cover expenses associated with mileage, lodging, per diem and substitute pay.
- Teachers who complete the STREAM K-8 Regional program will receive 45 OPI renewal credits and a $400 stipend.
If you are interested in participating in one of the STREAM Regional K-8 Mathematics Events please see the attached flyer. If you know a K-8 teacher who might benefit from this unique opportunity please share this information.
Wishing you the best as the school year gets underway,
The STREAM Team:
Dr. Jennifer Luebeck (MSU-Bozeman)
Dr. Matt Roscoe (UM)
Lisa Scott (Billings Public Schools)
IDEA #3 - MATH on the TEACHER LEARNING HUB
Be sure to check out our self-paced courses on the Learning Hub. Created by teachers for teachers.
Self-Paced Courses: Expand your teaching knowledge and earn OPI renewal units whenever, wherever.
- Ensuring Equity for All in Mathematics
- K-6 INFORMative Math Instruction: Who Knows? Who Doesn't? Now What?
Virtually Guided Group Course: Get a group together of 3 or more math teachers and learn together! Virtually guides group courses are made to use with a group of teachers and earn OPI renewal units at the same time. Use these course at your next math department meeting or your next team meeting. Group courses are a great way to stay on track toward a common goal, learn in the process and leave with purposeful next steps of how to implement what you have learned into your school and classroom. Together Everyone Achieves More!
- 8 Mathematical Practices (Elementary)
- 8 Mathematical Practices (Secondary)
- Rich Tasks 2.0
- Key Words Can Be Misleading
Facilitated Math Courses: STREAM’s first set of online modules for mathematics will open in October! Enroll now to ensure your spot in these three-week facilitated courses. Earn OPI renewal credits while learning from top math educators in the state.
- STREAM Developing Fraction Sense (3-5) October 2017
- STREAM Playing with Pythagoras (7-9) Oct 2017
- STREAM Measurement (K-3) Oct 2017
Look out for more courses coming this fall!
Have an idea for a course? Email email@example.com
Having trouble reading this email? View it in your browser.