Big Idea #1 – New Courses
Navigating the Other Side of Teaching
- This course emphasizes the environmental, educational and social demands that influence an educator's daily decisions. Sections include: overview of educator ethics, educator relationships and boundaries, and cybertraps for educators. 6 renewal units, self-paced. Read more or sign up for the course here.
Key Words Can Be Misleading
- Why can generalizing key words be misleading to students? The focus of this learning experience is to recognize the pitfalls of teaching "keywords" as tricks when solving math problems. This is a perfect course to take as a group during a PLC, staff meeting, or team time! 1 renewal unit, virtually guided group course. Read more or sign up for the course here.
Big Idea #2 – Upcoming Facilitated Courses
Introduction to Teaching Health Science as a Career Pathway (20+ renewal units)
- Sept 5th-15th, click here for more information or to register.
- With the right qualifications you can also do a job shadow, earn 30 renewal units, and apply for a class 4A Health Science Endorsement – or just take the course for 20 renewal units. Contact Renee Erlandsen with questions, (406) 994-6986, or Rerlandsen@mt.gov
Teaching and Assessing English Learners (30 renewal units)
- Sept 20th – Oct 30th, registration will open by Sept 8th.
- The purpose of this course is to increase understanding of teaching EL students in Montana and learn how to implement new approaches for teaching English Language Learners in Montana.
Paraprofessionals Achieving Standards Successfully (PASS)
- Sept 25th – Dec 9th, more information or to register.
STREAM Math Courses (15 renewal units each)
- Oct 2nd-20th, registration will open mid-September
- o Measurement (K-3)
- o Playing with Pythagoras (7-9)
- o Developing Fraction Sense (3-4)
Big Idea #3 – Join Our Online Professional Learning Communities
Calling all teachers! Do you find yourself wanting time with other teachers to ask questions and share resources? Are you wishing you had more teachers to collaborate with? We have a solution! Check out our online Professional Learning Communities (PLCs). These PLCs meet online each month at a set day and time. Covering a variety of content areas, you may join any or all of them to meet with teachers across the state to discuss instruction, curriculum, and resources. Can’t make the live meeting? Don’t worry, recordings will be posted. Renewal units are available for the live or recorded sessions.
4 PLCs are starting up in September, with another 4 opening later this school year.
Schedule, starting in Sept:
Data and Assessment, 3:30pm, 4th Wednesday
Science, 3:30pm, 3rd Wednesday
Trending Teacher Topics, 3:45pm, 2nd Monday
Writing, 3:45pm, 2nd Wednesday
Arts, 3:45pm, 3rd Monday (starting in Oct)
Multi-Tiered Systems of Support for All Montana Educators, 3:45pm, every Wednesday (starting in Oct)
Math – (starting in Oct or Nov)
Special Education (starting in January)
Watch for the 3 Big Ideas Hub Special Edition to come out the first Monday of every month.
Jessica Bryant, Teacher Learning Hub Coordinator, (406) 444-3557
~ Content Standards & Instruction thanks you for reading the 3 Big Ideas ~
Colet Bartow, Director, (406) 444-3583
School Library Information, (406) 444-3583
Christy Mock-Stutz, English Language Arts, (406) 444-0736
Michelle McCarthy, Science, (406) 444-3537
Marisa Franklin, Mathematics, (406) 444-3583
Marjorie O’Rourke, Professional Learning Data & Info Specialist, (406) 444-3538
Wanda Arlint, Administrative Assistant, (406) 444-0716