Big Idea #1 – 2018 Montana Aerospace Scholars
The Museum of Flight is accepting applications for its 2018 Montana Aerospace Scholars program. The program is accepting high school sophomores. The deadline to register is Friday. February 16, 2018, with phase one beginning March 6, 2018. Visit the Museum of Flight’s website for registration information and other details.
Big Idea #2 – State Science Fairs
Registrations for science and engineering fairs across the state are opening up or will soon. Visit the websites for registration information and other details.
- Montana Tech Science and Engineering Fair for middle and high school students: March 5 and 8, 2018; registration is open now.
- 2018 Hi-Line Regional Science and Engineering Fair at MSU-Northern for middle and high school students: March 12, 2018; contact Melanie Schwarzbach at Big Sandy Public Schools for details.
- Montana Region II Science & Engineering Fair at Great Falls MSU for middle and high school students: March 15, 2018; registration opens Monday, February 12, 2018.
- 2018 Montana Science Fair at the University of Montana for middle and high school students: March 19-20, 2018; registration is open now.
- The MSU Billings and Billings Clinic Science Expo 2018 for middle and high school students: March 23-24, 2018; registration is open now.
Big Idea #3 – Summer Writing Intensive will focus on Writing in Science
This 3-day Summer Writing Intensive is to provide Montana teachers with a community of learners, writers, and practitioners in writing and science in implementing the new Montana Content Standards for Science, while using writing to connect ourselves, our students, and our communities to the content. Tentatively scheduled for June 10-12, the workshop will provide 20 renewal units at no-cost to the participant (except lodging costs). Please email Christy Mock-Stutz if you are interested in this opportunity! More details coming soon.
One last thing...
Yellowstone Writing Project and the International Youth Silent Film Festival Present a teacher workshop!
The Yellowstone Writing Project (YWP) will be hosting an International Youth Silent Film Festival (IYSFF) April 9, 2018 at 4:00 pm. To help teachers understand the IYSFF, YWP will host a free teacher workshop on Friday, February 9, 2018, on MSU Bozeman campus. This workshop will review the procedures of the IYSFF, view silent films, and dabble in making our own silent films. This is short notice, but it is an incredible opportunity! Send an email confirmation of your attendance at the teacher workshop to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 2. Here is more information on the teacher workshop and conference.
~ Content Standards & Instruction thanks you for reading the 3 Big Ideas ~
Colet Bartow, Director, (406) 444-3583
Christy Mock-Stutz, English Language Arts, (406) 444-0736
Michelle McCarthy, Science, (406) 444-3537
Marisa Franklin, Mathematics, (406) 444-0706
Marjorie O’Rourke, Professional Learning Data & Info Specialist, (406) 444-3538
Wanda Arlint, Administrative Assistant, (406) 444-0716
- Access more resources from Montana Teach.
- Learn about more professional development on the OPI Professional Learning Opportunities Portal.
- Enroll in online courses on the Teacher Learning Hub.
The OPI is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, require an alternate format, or have questions concerning accessibility, contact the OPI ADA Coordinator, 406-444-3161, email@example.com, TTY 406-444-0235