RE: Check and Connect Train the Trainer
Dear Administrators and Superintendents,
The OPI’s Special Education’s Continuing Education and Technical Assistance Unit has a great opportunity for schools and districts that have been implementing MBI/MTSS.
What: Check and Connect is an individualized intervention for students with K-12 students who show warning signs of disengagement with school and who are at risk of dropping out. See the four Components and three Elements of Check and Connect here http://checkandconnect.umn.edu/model/components_elements.html With that stated, are you interested in becoming a Check and Connect Trainer with the respects that you could train educators in Montana on how to use the intervention in their own environments?
When and Where: February or March of 2019, possibly in Helena or Great Falls?!?
How: The first part would be to complete a Check and Connect training, if you have not already done so. We currently have 3 trainers whom are Peggy, Marilyn, and Pam. The second part is TTT participants will complete the following pre-work to prepare for the TTT Workshop:
- TTT participants will review in detail the Check & Connect: Implementing with Fidelity manual and complete the manual review form
- Review in detail the specified Check & Connect Training PowerPoint and Participant Guide
The national Check & Connect trainer will enroll each TTT participant in the Check & Connect Certified Trainers Moodle site or similar online environment. The following resources and information will be available on the site:
- National Check & Connect Training Materials, including PowerPoints and Participant Guides for each training (Preparation and Implementation, Comprehensive Implementation, and Mentor)
- State/region specific information and resources
- Additional support materials for training (videos, documents, etc.)
Third part is a 2 ½ day train the trainer workshop where:
- Participants are expected to bring their Check & Connect Implementing with Fidelity Manuals to training.
- Check & Connect National trainer will conduct one on-site training session consisting of 2.5 days (8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. days one and two, and 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. day three). This training session will include the core training on the background, philosophy, and implementation strategies for the Check & Connect model, and strategies for establishing successful mentor/mentee relationships. This training will accommodate a maximum of 12 participants.
After the above is completed, The University of Minnesota will provide coaches sessions that will entail:
- The national trainer will conduct a planning call with each group of new trainers to assist them in preparation for their first training with actual participants. During this call, the national trainer will review the training components and answer questions from the new trainers.
- Within 12 months following the Initial TTT Workshop, groups of 4 new trainers will provide a 2-day Check & Connect Training with a Check & Connect National trainer onsite to observe and provide coaching to the new trainers.
- A maximum of 3 coached training sessions are included in this contract to meet the needs of up to 12 TTT participants in Cohort 2. Each of these training sessions can accommodate a maximum of 30 school or district participants.
The University of Minnesota will also provide quarterly professional development calls for those trainers that want to participate.
Why: Strengthen tier 2/3 supports in schools, building a system of supports for their students.
Next Steps: Next Steps: The following link provides a Template to complete and e-mail it to Holly Mook, email@example.com.
Continuing Education and Technical Assistance Unit Manager
. Email: Jenifer.firstname.lastname@example.org