FOR MONTANA TEACHER LIBRARIANS
Montana Library/Media Program Description
The school library media program is essential in creating independent learners who are efficient consumers and producers of information. By using a variety of information formats, focusing on the learning process and collaborating with other disciplines, school libraries provide the entire school community with opportunities to acquire the information skills they need to interact responsibly in a global society. An ongoing desire to know, a love for reading and a respect for information will transform a student into a lifelong independent learner. The role of libraries in a democratic society is to embrace the social responsibility of learning. (ARM 10.55.1801)
If you haven't reviewed the Montana Administrative Rules for Library Media Program Delivery lately, take a look and reflect on how your school's library program is meeting or exceeding these standards.
- How are your priorities reflected in these program standards?
- How are you pushing beyond the standards and creating innovative learning opportunities that didn't exist when these rules were adopted in 1989?
- Are your current policies up-to-date?
Unleashing the Instructional Leadership of Librarians to Foster Future Ready Schools
Leadership roles for teacher-librarians are right there -- if you are willing to step forward. There are great resources available through the Future Ready initiative. Teacher-librarians have been part of this effort from the very beginning. Check out the Future Ready Librarians page for more information. You can also watch this inspiring talk from Mark Ray: "Changing the Conversation About Librarians."
Library of Congress Lesson Plans
Curriculum and content area connections are vital to bringing information literacy into student learning. Check out an incredible collection of lesson plans from the Library of Congress Teachers' program.
- Access resources from Montana Teach.
- Learn about more professional development on the OPI Professional Learning Opportunities Portal.
- Enroll in online courses on the Teacher Learning Hub.
Questions? Contact email@example.com